Conor McGregor was accused of ‘exposing himself to a young married woman as she made her way to the toilet’ inside a bar in France.
France 3 Corse – a major TV broadcaster in the south of the country- has said that it has spoken to a friend of the alleged victim.
They reported that the 32-year-old allegedly “exhibited his private parts” to the young woman while she headed to the toilets in a bar on the holiday island of Corsica on September 6.
The former UFC star was arrested on Friday on suspicion of an alleged attempted sexual assault and indecent exposure.
He was released without charge the following day, reports the Mirror.
McGregor is now waiting for the results of ‘key physical tests’ and the ‘examination of film evidence’, before learning whether or not he will be re-arrested.
The source added that the alleged incident “deeply shocked the woman, who was on holiday in Calvi with her husband”.
As the alleged victim of a sex crime, she will be entitled to anonymity while pursuing her complaint.
A criminal case is still active and McGregor could be summoned before a magistrate later this week.
“Key physical tests were carried out on the suspect, but the results will not be known until after the weekend,” an investigating source said.
“These tests are of a routine nature following incidents like this, but they take time, to make sure there is no doubt about them.
“It is also possible that the incident being complained about was filmed. It took place in a very busy place, where fixed cameras are situated everywhere.
“Lots of holidaymakers would also have been filming and taking pictures on their phones, so they also need to be spoken to.”
High Corsica, the area in which Calvi is situated, is also a coronavirus red zone where cases are on the increase.
Formal allegations were made against McGregor to police last Thursday, by an as-yet unnamed complainant, believed to be the woman victim.
This led to police raiding McGregor’s £3million yacht, which was named locally as the ‘Dave Ocean’, the next day.
McGregor made his way to the local Tramariccia Gendarmerie by bike on Friday, surrounded by bodyguards, and was then grilled by an examining magistrate and judicial police.
“The suspect was arrested and placed in custody by the judicial authorities,” said a spokesman for the Bastia prosecutor. “He was released on Saturday.’
There had been a complaint pointing toward ‘sexual assault and indecent exposure,’ said the spokesman.
French police can hold a suspect for an initial period of 48 hours before having to apply for an extension to custody, charge them, or release them.
In this case McGregor was released, but the case has not been closed, and there may be further action, the spokesman confirmed.
Emmanuelle Ramon, McGregor’s lawyer, said his client “vigorously denied any wrongdoing”.
“He has been released before the legal end of police custody and without any judicial review,” said Mr Ramon.
Audie Attar, McGregor’s manager, said in a statement: “I am irate and putting out a warning loud and clear: Conor McGregor is not and will not be a target for those seeking to score a headline or a payday.”
McGregor was staying on his yacht in Corsica with his girlfriend, Dee Devlin, and their two children.
Since his brush with the law, he has been seen out running around Calvi.
McGregor had been preparing to take part in a 180-kilometer, 24-hour charity water bike race from Calvi to Monaco.
Princess Charlene of Monaco would have been alongside him to help promote water safety, but McGregor has now been forced to withdraw.