SOME of the most incredible superyachts in the world have been named in Boat International’s 2020 Design & Innovation Awards.
There are some stunning vessels, with one even featuring an IMAX cinema and disco on board.
The winners were named by the magazine to mark the start of the Superyacht Design Festival.
This year, there were 151 different entries across different categories including exterior and interior design.
There’s even a vessel awarded in the eco category thanks to its innovative hybrid engine.
You can find the full list on Boat International’s website – but here are some of the best ones:
Outstanding exterior design, motor yachts
There are two winners for the exterior design award – one for 24m to 49.9m vessels and one for 50m and above.
A yacht called Race won the award for smaller vessels thanks to its “masculine” design, featuring strong horizontal lines.
Race was also praised for its 120sqm sun deck offering uninterrupted views of the horizon, “elegant” cockpit and “crisp and neat” furniture.
Lady S won the exterior design award for bigger superyachts with a striking glass panel.
It also hosts a helipad, huge pool and a beach club on board.
Best motor yachts interior design
The aforementioned glass panel also helped Lady S win the award for the best interior design for vessels above 500GT.
Of course, it also helped that it’s home to the world’s first IMAX cinema on a yacht and a disco with interactive dance floor.
Calypso won the same award for motor yachts under 500GT.
Its interior is supposed to be inspired a beach house, with mood lighting controlled by an iPad.
Outstanding exterior design, sailing yachts
The winner Liara impressed judges with a design that allows its owners to sail it around the world.
One key consideration was how to keep the cockpit dry and warm in wet weather or shaded from the broiling sun – for this, they came up with a carbon-fibre removable hardtop.
Best sailing yachts interior design
Liara also won the award for best sailing yachts interior design.
Its features are inspired by the Channel Islands, including a ripple-effect dining and coffee table.
Outstanding lifestyle feature
Bold’s The Loft/Winter Garden won the best lifestyle feature.
The space, offering incredible views of the surroundings, is perfect for entertaining.
It transforms from indoors to al fresco easily thanks to its glass doors, which can fold, slide and stack out of the way.
Judges’ commendation for holistic design
Scout won the award for judges’ commendation for holistic design.
It’s inspired by Jules Verne and is based on the owners’ vision of a “home away from home”.
Perhaps unusually, it’s designed so its owners can actually live on board rather than just use it for holidays from time to time.
Full list of winners:
- Outstanding Exterior Design Motor Yachts – 24m to 49.9m: Race
- Outstanding Exterior Design Motor Yachts – 50m and above: Lady S
- Outstanding Exterior Design Sailing Yachts: Liara
- Best Motor Yachts Interior Design – below 500GT: Calypso
- Best Motor Yachts Interior Design – above 500GT: Lady S
- Best Sailing Yachts Interior Design: Liara
- Best Naval Architecture Semi-Displacement or Planing Motor Yachts: Zalanka
- Best Naval Architecture Displacement Motor Yachts: Najiba
- Best Naval Architecture Sailing Yachts: Canova
- Best New Series: LeVen 90
- Eco Award: Vanadis
- Outstanding Lifestyle Feature: Bold
- Innovation of the Year: 4-ply complex curve structural glass on board Syzygy 818
- Tender of the Year – Limousine: Solas
- Tender of the Year – Open: Tender 15
- Young Designer of the Year: Valentin Weigand with Plato
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Martin Francis
- Judges’ Commendation – Holistic Design: Scout
- Judges’ Commendation – Lighting: Excellence
Sun Online Travel previously revealed some of the best yachts in the world.
There’s an Airbnb of boats that lets you hire a luxury yacht for a bargain price.
One couple bought a luxury yacht at a huge discount at a police auction.