Boris Johnson could get a chilly reception from voters today after becoming a national laughing stock by hiding in a fridge to avoid TV cameras.
But this is a man who’s put so many interviews on ice, he should be named No-Show-Bo-Jo.
The latest to be frozen out was a reporter from Good Morning Britain who asked him to fulfil a long-standing pledge to go on the show.
In a clip, one of the PM’s aides can be seen mouthing, “Oh for f***’s sake” as the ITV programme’s hosts, Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid, watched, shocked, in the studio.
But then the PM was dressed as a milkman, after joining a morning round in Guiseley, West Yorks, so maybe he simply lost his bottle.
The Tory leader told the reporter: “I’ll be with you in a second,” and walked off. Piers exclaimed: “He’s gone into the fridge!”
He was last seen disappearing behind stacks of milk crates into a large chilling room…
Piers branded him a “coward” but, if you think about it, there are lots of reasons to go into the fridge. (Let’s only name nine though, as we’re hoping to keep him away from No10.)
1. The block of ice did such a great job replacing him in the climate debate, he was looking for another one to sit in, just in case he stays as PM.
2. After meeting so many real people on the campaign trail, he was worried his cold heart was starting to thaw, which would never do.
3. He was following his esteemed predecessor, and trying to “chillax”.
4. He was looking for all those nurses he promised. Or that £350million for the NHS. Or Jacob Rees-Mogg.
5. That’s where you always put the turkey at Christmas.
6. He’s remaking Benny Hill’s Ernie: The Fastest Milkman in the West, as Squirmy: The Daftest Milkman in a Mess.
7. He was trying to show he’s a man of the people – by staying there till he’s Frozen 2.
8. He’s gone all street, and was just chillin’ with his homophobes.
9. He was showing us that whenever there’s a bad smell in any fridge, the answer to what’s rotten is always, always Boris Johnson.