To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

Harry Styles has addressed turning down the role of Prince Eric in Disney’s upcoming The Little Mermaid live action remake – revealing ‘just a few things’ stopped him from taking on the role of the beloved character.

The highly anticipated remake of the original 1989 classic is set to star Halle Bailey in the leading role of Ariel – and fans were left disappointed after it was previously revealed that the singer had turned down the role of her love interest.

Now, Harry has since appeared on Capital Breakfast and was quizzed by host Roman Kemp on his involvement in the remake, and he revealed he met with the film’s director, Rob Marshall, before deciding not to take the role.

As Roman joked about how the former One Direction member was now a famous actor besides being a singer, he asked him: ‘When The Little Mermaid was about, you were trending [on Twitter] because you were playing the part of Eric, what happened? Did you turn it down? Did you even audition? What’s the deal?’

‘I had, you know, a meeting with Rob Marshall the director, who is the most wonderful man, he’s great,’ Harry replied.

‘And it was just, honestly, it was just a few things.’

However, the 25-year-old added that he knew the upcoming film was going to be ‘amazing’ despite him not being involved.

‘It just, it wasn’t… erm… I think it’s gonna be amazing, obviously it’s an amazing film, and I can tell Roman’s watching how I’m kind of worming…’ Harry said.

READ  Susanna Reid: GMB host addresses ‘painful’ decision ‘It’s like they don’t even know me’
Harry previously admitted to wanting to focus on his music career (Picture: Getty Images)

‘No mate!’ Roman exclaimed in reply. ‘It’s not… Harry it’s because…’ as he urged him to continue with his answer.

But Harry just replied: ‘How’s he gonna worm around this one?’ to hails of laughter from those in the studio.

So that settles that then.

Harry also previously admitted that he wanted to focus on his music career before taking on such a huge movie role.

‘I want to put music out and focus on that for a while,’ he said during an interview with The Face.

Sources close to The Wrap previously claimed that the hitmaker ‘is a fan of the project but respectfully declined’ the role.

The remake wouldn’t have been Harry’s first venture into the film industry however – he previously starred in Christopher Nolan’s critically acclaimed movie Dunkirk in 2017.

Hear Harry Styles’ interview in full on Capital Breakfast with Ronan Kemp this Thursday.



Got a showbiz story?

If you’ve got a story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk Entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.

MORE: Can you watch The Mandalorian Star Wars spin-off if you don’t have Disney +?

MORE: Billie Eilish’s music ‘saves lives’ says Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong





READ SOURCE

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here