celebrity news

Gordon Ramsay ‘uses furlough scheme to pay axed staff their notice’


Gordon Ramsay previously laid off 500 employees (Picture: Getty Images)

Gordon Ramsay has reportedly used the government’s furlough scheme to pay axed staff their notice despite being worth millions.

The celebrity chef previously faced backlash when it was reported he’d laid off 500 staff amid the coronavirus crisis.

According to The Sun on Sunday, Gordon is making use of the furlough scheme to pay some of those staff their notice.

The publication claims to have seen an email from Gordon Ramsay Restaurants’ HR Director Sarah Anderson to a London-based worker, which reads: ‘Should you not wish to apply for a new role, you will remain on the furlough scheme for the duration of your notice.’

The source said: ‘The ­furlough scheme is called the job retention scheme — but that is not what he seems to be using it for. They are sacking people anyway.

Visit our live blog for the latest updates: Coronavirus news live

‘What they are doing in some cases is offering jobs that they know people can’t do or can’t afford to do — such as telling a supervisor they can become a bartender.

‘But someone who has worked at a Michelin-starred restaurant is not going to go and work in a pub.’

He was forced to shut down restaurants amid the coronavirus crisis (Picture: Getty Images)

The celebrity chef was forced to briefly shut down a string of his restaurants due to the global health scare, after pubs and restaurants were ordered to close.

And the 53-year-old summoned his staff to a meeting where they learned their contracts would be terminated – reportedly leaving many in tears.

They were later sent an email explaining they would be paid up to 17 April, giving them the option to appeal the decision.

After the dad-of-five – who is thought to be worth around £140million – failed to guarantee they would retain their jobs when the restrictions lift, chef Anca Toropu blasted his decision.

‘All of us have worked so hard for Gordon Ramsay and he has just got rid of us when we needed his support the most,’ she told MailOnline.

‘Many of the staff were left in tears at the way he has treated us. There was no warning. We were summoned to a meeting and told our contracts were being terminated. It was so brutal.

‘Staff from each of the restaurants were summoned to the Heddon Street restaurant where they were given the news. It was so awful and so many were in tears.’

Metro.co.uk has contacted reps for Gordon for comment.

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.

MORE: Thomas The Tank Engine narrator Michael Angelis dies

MORE: Joe Wicks ‘eyed by Government to lead review of PE curriculum’





READ SOURCE

READ  Ant Mcpartlin: Is Holly Willoughby joining I'm a Celeb host in the jungle?

Leave a Reply