Girl, three, badly burned by Aldi gel washing tablet that burst in her hand

The burns left by the Aldi tablets (Picture: Emma Shone; Aldi)

A mum had to rush her daughter to hospital after a gel washing tablet burst in her hands and caused burns.

Emma Shone, from Manchester, described how her daughter Willow, three, managed to get hold of one from the utility room when she looked away for just a moment.

Not understanding the danger, Willow held the tablet and it then broke open, leaking the liquid inside all over her.

Emma wrote in the Family Lockdown Tips & Ideas Facebook group to warn other parents about what happened.

Emma said: ‘I wanted to share an experience that I hope none of you ever have to go through but it’s to share the warning as I didn’t know the dangers before this happened along with a lot of my personal friends and family. 

‘Washing machine gel tablets!! My 3 year old daughter managed to get hold of one from the utility room and burst it in her hands. 

‘I immediately undressed her and cleaned her up however we must have missed a very small amount.’

She added a picture of the red burn mark and said they rushed to A&E, where they were transferred to the burns unit at the children’s hospital.

She added: ‘We were admitted overnight whilst they treated the burn and we will be seen as an outpatient for new dressings.

‘Please, please be aware of these tablets. I knew they posed a risk but thought that was if they ate them not if they got the liquid on their skin.

‘Such a small thing can cause this much damage and pain.’

Emma bought the tablets from Aldi, and like most washing tablets, the box warns customers not to get the gel on the skin and if they do so, to remove all clothing and wash with water.

It also warns about the dangers of eating the sachets or getting any of it in your eye.

An Aldi spokesperson said: ‘We would urge parents to keep washing products out of reach of children, in line with guidance on the packaging. We wish Willow a speedy recovery.’

Do you have a story to share?

Get in touch at

MORE: Mum and daughter dumpster-diving duo have rescued £27,000 worth of rubbish from bins

MORE: Mum reveals ‘life-changing’ trick for removing tough stains with eucalyptus oil

MORE: Mum can’t help but laugh as air valve makes dinosaur balloon look like he has a penis


Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.