That’s a guilty dog right there – this is Honey who ate the advent calendar (Picture: Blue Cross)

This week we reported on a very naughty dog called Porridge who pulled down his owner’s Christmas tree – and pretty much everything else in his wake.

Three-month-old Honey may have just taken the crown (or the star on top of the tree) however, after being taken to a Blue Cross vet for literally eating the Christmas decorations.

The Sharpei, who lives in Grimsby, was very sick after eating part of a bauble – resulting in her passing ‘the most festive glittery poop’ the team said they had ever seen (they didn’t include pictures, which is probably for the best).

A spokesperson from Blue Cross told Metro.co.uk: ‘The dog didn’t need surgery thankfully but was given a full check over by our team at Grimsby

‘Honey had been sick a few times but was well enough in herself, but as she was a puppy we admitted her to the hospital for monitoring with the view to take some x-rays if she did not improve overnight.

‘Luckily overnight Honey passed some glittery poo and some bits of plastic….the most festive poo we’ve had!

‘The vet decided she could go home for the owner to monitor as it looked like the festive decoration was making its way through.’

Honey’s so fabulous she poops glitter (Picture: Blue Cross)

And Honey isn’t the only dog that Blue Cross vets have seen with a penchant for Christmas treats.

One-year-old Sunshine was rushed to the charity’s hospital in Victoria, London, after he managed to snatch the chocolate advent calendar off a shelf and demolish the contents while her owner Szilvia Petzold was out.

The Maltese, who lives in Raynes Park, was treated by vets, and thankfully made it through, but it was a huge scare for the family.

39-year-old Szilvia said: ‘My little boy was so distraught he didn’t want to go to bed because he was so worried about his little Sunshine.

‘The Advent calendar had been in our house for days and I didn’t even think about Sunshine being able to get to it – or even know that chocolate was toxic for dogs.

(Picture: Blue Cross)

‘It was only when I checked online that I found out chocolate can be fatal for dogs and I rushed him down to Blue Cross.’

With these cautionary tales in mind, the Blue Cross want to warn pet owners about the perils of your dog eating things they shouldn’t, particularly at this time of year.

Every year Blue Cross treats cats and dogs that have accidentally eaten or drunk something they shouldn’t have at Christmas, with recent years seeing a Christmas cake eating cat and an eggnog drinking German Shepherd.

A survey of 1,334 pet owners by Blue Cross found that nearly 60% admitted their pets had eaten or drunk something they shouldn’t have in Christmases past, with 30% saying their pets had eaten chocolate and 10% alcohol.

A further 30% admitted their pet had been ill over the Christmas period due to something they had eaten or drunk.

They’re urging people to keep an eye on their pets around certain foods that can be toxic.

Poppy Baron, Blue Cross Vet, said: ‘We love to hear so many owners involve their pet in their celebrations at Christmas but we’d just urge them to be vigilant during the festive season as there are many hidden dangers to our pets, from toxic foods to dangerous seasonal plants and decorations.

‘Chocolate, sultanas and raisins, and alcohol are among the food and drinks that should be kept well out of sight of your pet to ensure you all have a safe and happy Christmas together.’

This Christmas Blue Cross is asking for a donation of £3 to help fill a pet’s bowl with festive food so vulnerable animals get a taste of home. To donate to your local Blue Cross rehoming centre click here.

Do you have a festive pet story? Get in touch with us to share it by emailing MetroLifestyleTeam@Metro.co.uk. 

MORE: Mum spends four years building a Christmas village in her garden for less than £100

MORE: Mum who named newborns Ronnie and Reggie hadn’t heard of the Kray twins





READ SOURCE

READ  Kids wake up to find a giant poo after cat mistakes Elf on the Shelf setup for litter

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here