Dillian Whyte’s career could be over for failing a drugs test before his win over Oscar Rivas last Saturday.
Whyte could be clobbered with a ban of between four and eight years for the positive test, which came just three days before he defeated Rivas to become the WBC’s mandatory heavyweight challenger.
He served a two-year ban after failing a drugs test in 2012 and faces a longer suspension if found guilty this time.
Whyte, 31, was told his ‘A’ sample from his UKAD test was positive, but was still allowed to fight Rivas because his ‘B’ sample had yet to be screened.
The British Boxing Board of Control gave him the green light to carry on, even though it is understood Rivas and the WBC were not informed.
The BBBofC have not made any comment apart from saying they will uphold any sanction dished out by UKAD and a lengthy ban would KO Whyte’s career and his hopes of becoming world champion.
Whyte’s camp have declined to comment and promoter Eddie Hearn said in a statement on twitter that the BBBofC sanctioned Saturday’s fight.
“Further to reports I can confirm that both Dillian Whyte and Oscar Rivas were subject to extensive VADA and UKAD testing for their bout,” said Hearn.
“Both fighters were cleared to fight by both bodies and the BBBofC.”
Rivas, who lost his unbeaten record to Whyte in the unanimous points defeat, wants the WBC to order a rematch.
“I think yes, if they want we will try and fight for the same title,” said the Colombian. “Thanks to God I’ll continue unbeaten.”
Whyte had been promised a shot at the WBC title by May 2020 and current champ Deontay Wilder was scathing in his criticism of the Brixton fighter, calling him an “idiot” and “Donkey of the Year”.
It is not known which substances Whyte has tested positive for and in 2012 he was banned for showing traces of Methylhexaneamine after his win over Sandor Balogh.
Andy Ruiz Junior claims the suppression of Whyte’s failed test makes him reluctant to have his rematch with Anthony Joshua in the UK because he fears a stitch-up.
Cardiff’s Principality Stadium is favourite to host the rematch between Ruiz, who holds the WBA Super, IBF and WBO heavyweight titles, and Joshua on December 14 and he does not want to come to Britain.
He said on twitter: “I’m not going to go to the UK for the rematch #isasetup.
“At the end of the day I just want a fair playing ground. The fact that Rivas had no idea about it is a bit sketchy.”
New York’s Madison Square Garden, where Ruiz shocked Joshua to become world champion at the start of last month, is the other venue under consideration for November 29.