Billy Joel announces one-off concert at Melbourne Cricket Ground and promises to play all of his biggest hits instead of ‘obscure tracks’
Billy Joel is coming to Australia.
The New York-born music legend, 73, has announced a special one-off concert at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on December 10 this year.
The Piano Man will play his greatest hits to adoring Aussie fans, which is likely to include Uptown Girl, Movin’ Out, and She’s Always A Woman.
Billy Joel, 73, has announced a special one off concert at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on December 10 this year. He is pictured in Boston in 2019
‘It’s strange to go all the way to Australia to do just one show, but I guess that’s the deal,’ he told the Herald Sun on Monday.
‘You’ve got to do songs that people know. You can’t just do all your obscure album tracks because a lot of people may not know them,’
‘You’ve got to have a good amount of hits, but you’ve also got to do songs you like to do,’ he added.
The one-night-only show at the MCG is part of Always Live, a collaboration between the Victorian Government and Frontier Touring.
The first – and only – time the hitmaker has previously played at the MCG was 24 years ago, when he performed with Elton John in 1998.
The Piano Man will play his greatest hits to adoring Aussie fans, which is likely to include Uptown Girl, Movin’ Out, and She’s Always A Woman. He is pictured at Madison Square Garden in November
Melbourne Lord Mayor Sally Capp told Sunrise that event organisers were ‘pulling out all the stops’ to in order to keep the city ‘as the events and arts capital of Australia following the coronavirus pandemic.
‘We are absolutely thrilled that one of the greatest artists of our era will be playing at an iconic stadium in the music capital of Australia,’ she said.
Billy, who is the third-bestselling solo artist of all time, having sold more than 150 million records across his career, recently revealed an incredible 23kg weight loss after undergoing back surgery earlier this year.
The music legend revealed last year he unintentionally dropped the weight after losing his appetite following a back surgery.
The music legend recently lost over 22kg after losing his appetite after back surgery. (Pictured in 2018 before his weight loss)
‘I had back surgery early this year and the pain afterwards was so bad I lost my appetite,’ he said on the Howard Stern Show in November.
‘I embraced that, I said, “Okay, I won’t eat as much” and I ate less and less and less and less and then there was just life aggravation and that tends to, you know, impact your appetite too.’
‘I had gotten kind of chunky,’ Billy added. ‘I was happy to lose the weight.’
Billy also revealed he paid his band their full salary during the pandemic.
‘I did pay them full salary for a year. I have a great band, I’m so happy to have them on stage … I don’t do as many gigs as I used to do … back in the day when I had some money issues, I wasn’t able to take care of the band the same way I am now.’
Billy has had a monthly residency at Madison Square Garden since 2014, with all 73 of his shows selling out.
But in March 2020 the COVID pandemic forced him to put it all on hold, he returned in November.
Billy has had a monthly residency at Madison Square Garden since 2014, with all 73 of his shows selling out. But in March 2020 the COVID pandemic forced him to put it all on hold. He returned in November