Abandoned dog found ‘disorientated’ and struggling to breathe after eating cannabis

Buddy was found confused and struggling to breathe after eating cannabis (Picture: PA)

A helpless dog left ‘disorientated’ and struggling to breathe after ingesting cannabis has been rescued.

Buddy the Shar Pei cross was found by a member of the public after being seemingly abandoned by his owner. He was later collected by animal welfare inspector Isla Bell, who found him ‘lying flat out’ on the sofa in Linwood, Renfrewshire, on August 17.

She then rushed him to an emergency vet who detected traces of cannabis. Buddy is now recovering at one of the Scottish SPCA’s animal rescue and re-homing centres.

Isla said Buddy could have died had he not received medical assistance. She continued: ‘He was clearly disorientated and he was having real difficulty breathing.

‘I immediately took the dog to an emergency vet, where tests revealed he had ingested cannabis.

‘Thankfully, the vet was able to treat him and he is now being well looked after at one of our centres.’

Luckily Buddy was found and rushed to the vets – otherwise he may not have survived (Picture: PA)

Buddy’s microchip only revealed his name, with other details recorded proving to be out of date.

Initial inquiries suggest he could have possible connections in the Woodvale area of Paisley.

Isla said: ‘This poor boy could have had a far unhappier outcome if the caller had not taken him in and contacted us.

Buddy is now safe at an animal rescue centre (Picture: PA)

‘We are keen to speak to this dog’s owner to establish how he ended up in such a state.’

Anyone with information about Buddy or his owner is asked to call the Scottish SPCA’s animal helpline on 03000 999 999.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at

For more stories like this, check our news page.


READ  Singer says she thought bear found in her flat was a dog

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.