Wolves are closing in on a loan deal to bring Royal Antwerp’s Aurelio Buta to Molineux in January, the Sunday Mirror report.
Nuno Espirito Santo has told the board to go out and get the 22-year-old right-back to bolster his ranks for the second half of the campaign.
Buta has thrived in a wing-back role in the Belgian Pro League and therefore is deemed capable of providing cover and further competition for Matt Doherty.
The club’s squad has been pushed to the limits by the constraints of Europa League football this season and Nuno is keen to get some new faces through the door at the turn of the year.
Last weekend’s 2-1 win over Aston Villa was Wolves’ 24th competitive game of the campaign, but they have coped admirably with their workload and stand in good stead of reaching the Europa League knockout stages while chasing down the top six.
Wolves are keen to exercise their unique relationship with super-agent Jorge Mendes to wrap up the deal.
The 53-year-old has helped the club pull off several coups in recent times and they’re optimistic he can help bring Buta to the Black Country.
A clause which will allow Wolves to complete the permanent purchase of the Angolan-born defender is likely to be included.
Both Watford and Newcastle have sent scouts to Belgium to watch the Portuguese ace play this season alongside a host of former Premier League stars including Kevin Mirallas, Wesley Hoedt and Ritchie De Laet.
Wolves are also looking to strengthen in other areas of the field, particularly at centre-back after defensive bedrock Willy Boly suffered a fracture to his fibula at the end of October.
Head of recruitment John Marshall appeared to rule out a move for AC Milan midfielder Franck Kessie earlier this week, a player they considered last summer.
“There was an interest [in Kessie] but there was never a real negotiation,” he told TMW at the Wyscout Forum in Amsterdam.
“I don’t think so [a January move is in the pipeline], we have so many players in midfield.”