Politics

Trump finally condemns US Capitol riots and gives up fight to overturn election


Donald Trump has finally condemned fanatical supporters who “defiled” the Capitol complex on Wednesday, saying they “do not represent our country”.

The President released a video to Twitter on Thursday in which he also accepted the result of the election for the first time and pledged a “smooth transition” of power to Joe Biden.

He had been temporarily banned from Twitter and Facebook – with the latter then changed to ‘indefinite’ – in relation to his posts amidst the choas, which saw five killed, after the platforms deemed him to be inciting violence.

Trump, who hours before the video had continued to claim falsely that the election had been stolen from him, said that “serving as your president has been the honor of my lifetime”.



Donald Trump addresses the US in a video posted to Twitter

The president slammed Wednesday’s violence, saying rioters had defiled the seat of American democracy, and said his focus would now turn to ensuring a smooth transition.

The statement was a stark reversal for Trump, who has spent months insisting he prevailed in the November 3 election due to widespread fraud, despite no evidence.



Huge crowds of pro-Trump rioters stormed the US Capitol, leading to five deaths



Trump was deemed to be inciting violence during the chaos

His exhortation on Wednesday to thousands of supporters that they should march to the Capitol to protest the election results whipped up a mob that overran police officers and invaded the Capitol building, forcing members of Congress into hiding for their own safety.

READ  Tony Blair: Boris Johnson should hold referendum on no-deal Brexit instead of general election

The top Democrats in Congress, House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer, have said Vice President Mike Pence is yet to respond to their calls for the 25th Amendment to be invoked.

They had called on the VP to invoke the provision of the U.S. Constitution that allows them to remove the president from power if he is unable to discharge the duties of the office.



Rioters scale the wall of the Capitol



The National Guard was deployed as police struggled to hold off the mob

Barring that, Pelosi said she would likely reconvene the House to initiate impeachment proceedings against Trump.

In the video, Trump called the riot a “heinous attack” that left him “outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem”.

However, he failed to address his role in inciting the violence, telling supporters while he knows they are “disappointed”, he wants them to know “our incredible journey is only just beginning”.



The riots lasted for hours



Rioters broke through police barricades and raided the government building

“I would like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol,” he said.

“Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem. I immediately deployed the National Guard and federal law enforcement to secure the building and expel the intruders.”

Numerous news outlets, however, have reported that it was Mike Pence, not Trump, who deployed the National Guard, while Trump resisted the measure.

READ  Ex-Tory Cabinet Minister warns Johnson majority would trigger no-deal Brexit


Capitol police officers point their guns at a door that was vandalised in the House Chamber



Trump fanatics raided the government building and ransaked offices

He continued: “America is and must always be a nation of law and order. The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy.

“To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay. We have just been through an intense election and emotions are high, but now tempers must be cooled and calm we start. [sic] We must get on with the business of America.

“My campaign vigorously pursued every legal avenue to contest the election results. My only goal was to ensure the integrity of the vote.



Trump claimed it was him who deployed the National Guard, contrary to reports

“In so doing now is fighting to defend American democracy. I continue to strongly believe that we must reform our election laws to verify the identity and eligibility of all voters and to ensure faith and confidence in all future elections.

“Now, Congress has certified the results. A new administration will be inaugurated on January 20.

“My focus now turns to ensuring a smooth, orderly and seamless transition of power,” he added.



Trump supporter and Air Force veteran Ashli Babbit was among five people killed

It comes after a police officer was reported to be the fifth fatality in relation to the riots.

READ  UK to spend £700m setting up new border bureaucracy for after Brexit

Unconfirmed reports say the officer was hit over the head with a fire extinguisher by a pro-Trump protester.

One woman – identified as US Air Force veteran Ashli Babbitt – was shot and killed by police as the crowd breached the building and three others suffered medical emergencies that proved fatal.



Capitol Police stand detain protesters outside of the House Chamber

The outgoing leader’s Twitter and Facebook accounts were temporarily suspended after he published posts deemed to incite violence amid the deadly Capitol riots.

His Twitter account was locked for 12 hours and the social media platform told him to remove three posts related to the unrest.

It also threatened to permanently ban the Republican leader if there are any future violations.



Trump’s final tweet before being temporarily banned

Facebook then followed suit, locking the President from posting for 24 hours, citing “two policy violations” – before it was increased ‘indefinitely’.

Trump had posted a series of mixed messages as the violence continued, including the phrase “these are the things and events that happen”.

His final tweet before being shut down also falsely claimed his “landslide victory” over Democratic rival Biden had been “unceremoniously & viciously stripped away”.



Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has banned Trump indefinitely

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg said in a Thursday post that the risks of allowing Trump to use the platform were “simply too great”.

Facebook’s move marked the most significant sanction of the president by a major social media company.

Live-streaming platform Twitch and photo-sharing service Snap Inc issued similar bans.



Joe Biden will take office on January 20

“The shocking events of the last 24 hours clearly demonstrate that President Donald Trump intends to use his remaining time in office to undermine the peaceful and lawful transition of power to his elected successor, Joe Biden,” Zuckerberg said in his Facebook post.

White House spokesman Judd Deere said in response that the companies had censored the president at a critical time for the country.

“Big Tech is out of control,” he said.

Zuckerberg said the block on Trump’s Facebook page, which has 35 million followers, would last at least until Biden takes office in less than two weeks.

Meanwhile, US education secretary Betsy DeVos has resigned after the Capitol insurrection and said Trump’s “rhetoric” was the “inflection point” for the incident.





READ SOURCE

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.