Football

Transfer news LIVE: Jadon Sancho addresses Man United interest, Arsenal offered swap deal and Man City rival Liverpool for Thiago



The Independent employs reporters around the world to bring you truly independent journalism. To support us, please consider a contribution.

Follow the latest updates live from the summer transfer window as Premier League clubs look to strengthen their squads ahead of the new season. Liverpool face competition for Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago Alcantara after reports in Germany linked Manchester City with a potential hijacking of the deal, with the 29-year-old keen on a move to England.

Manchester United meanwhile are locked in a stalemate with Borussia Dortmund over the move for Jadon Sancho, with the two clubs so far unable to agree on a transfer fee that would see the England international return to the Premier League. United have seen a £89m offer rejected, with Dortmund holding out for £108m and not a penny less.

Juventus meanwhile are keen on Arsenal striker Alexandre Lacazette, and have offered several players in a player-plus-cash deal which includes Gonzalo Higuain, Douglas Costa and Christian Romero. The Gunners are also poised to sign Willian after he left Chelsea, and retain interest in Lille defender Gabriel Magalhaes. Follow the live updates below.




Leeds have confirmed the signing of Cody Drameh from Fulham. 

The 18-year-old full-back joins for an undisclosed fee and has penned a four-year deal until 2024. 


Arsenal youngster Trae Coyle has joined Gillingham on loan.

He joins Zech Medley at the Priestfield Stadium, with Steve Evans delighted to acquire the Gunners talent. 

Evans said: “Trae is a very exciting young talent and he is ready to further his football education. He is very highly thought of at Arsenal and his performances have made him a sought after loan player.”

Coyle: “I’m getting to the age where I need to play men’s football and I think this is a great place for me to have my first spell.”


Willian’s agent has said the winger’s new club will soon be revealed as the Brazilian nears a transfer to Arsenal.

Willian’s contract with Chelsea expired on Sunday, and he has reportedly agreed terms with Arsenal for a three-year deal worth approximately £100,000-per-week.

The 32-year-old has also reportedly undergone a medical with the north London club, though Kia Joorabchian refused to confirm that his client was set to join Arsenal.


 

Velez Sarsfield could sig Southampton’s Guido Carrillo, report TyC Sports (h/t Echo). 

Mauricio Pellegrino, who is now in charge of the Argentine club, bought Carillo for £19.2m while in charge of Saints.

READ  Manchester United news: Poor club form may be affecting England defenders, admits Harry Maguire

With 10 months left on Carrillo’s deal, Saints will be keen to recoup some of their outlay.


Brentford could be about to lose a few players this summer, after they failed to earn promotion to the Premier League.

In turn, they’ll need to replace those stars – and one new recruit has been decided on, according to West London Sport.

Robin Hack, currently with FC Nurnberg, will be the choice to replace Said Benrahma if he is snapped up by Aston Villa or West Ham. The 21-year-old scored 10 goals in the German second tier this season.


Everton seem to be accepting defeat in signing Brazilian defender Gabriel Magalhaes, who they moved for months ago but who now has half of Europe keen on him.

As a result, Carlo Ancelotti is looking at a former player of his: Nikola Maksimovic, a Serbian 28-year-old at Napoli.

Italian journalist Ciro Venerato spoke on national radio to explain the Everton boss’ hopes of a double raid on the Naples club: midfielder Allan and now Maksimovic.


Stoke will drop their price for Jack Butland as they prepare to take a hit on their goalkeeper.

Sky Sports report the Potters are willing to sell the England shot-stopper for a third of the price they were demanding 18 months ago.

Back then the price was at least £30m, but now Stoke would be willing to entertain bids in the £8-10m range – though no official offers have been tabled yet. 


Manchester United have made an audacious enquiry for Real Madrid star Vinicius Junior should a move for Jadon Sancho fail.

Defensa Central report the Brazilian, who fell behind compatriot Rodrygo, Marco Asensio and Eden Hazard towards the end of the season under Zinedine Zidane, is an option for United.

Zidane still has high hopes for the 20-year-old, though he is not believed to be happy after missing out on a key start at the Etihad.

Vinicius is tied to Madrid until 2025 though, with an eye-watering release clause of €700m (£630m).


Arsenal target Thomas Partey is demanding £200,000-a-week to move this summer, putting a potential road block for any move.

The Athletic report the Atletico Madrid midfielder’s demands could scupper a deal for Mikel Arteta’s side.

While the fee, too, could prove problematic, with Atletico insisting on the £45m release clause to sell.


Kia Joorabchian has taken a shot at former Arsenal director of football Sven Mislintat for making a number of “cock-ups” while in charge of transfers at the Emirates.

The super agent has had an increasing influence on the Gunners’s approach in the market.

READ  I aspire to bond with players like José Mourinho does, says Frank Lampard

With Willian poised to join from London rivals Chelsea on a free transfer, Joorabchian looks to impose himself on Mikel Arteta’s squad.

But the outspoken agent could not resist a shot at Arsenal’s former sporting director Mislintat, who left the club in February 2019.


Agent Kia Joorabchian has provided an update on Willian’s impending move to Arsenal. 

“It won’t be long before we announce it,” he told Talk Sport. “We know where he is going.”


Aston Villa are looking at three possible targets this summer as they look to build to avoid a relegation battle next season, according to the Mirror.

Dean Smith could bring in £22m-rated Werder Bremen winger Milot Rashica, who hit eight goals and five assists in last season’s Bundesliga.

Brentford’s Ollie Watkins, 24, is another target, with Brentford likely to sell after failing to gain promotion to the Premier League, while Divock Origi would be of interest if Liverpool look to sell.


Atletico Madrid will still be determined to keep Jan Oblak this summer, but they will be signing a new goalkeeper it seems.

Chelsea have been strongly linked with the Slovenian, who would represent a big upgrade on Kepa Arrizabalaga.

And Goal report the La Liga side have lined up Eibar’s Marko Dmitrovic to replace the outgoing Antonio Adan, who will join Sporting. 

But Dmitrovic has a €20million (£18m) buyout clause, which could prove problematic.


Daniel Sturridge wants to return to the Premier League. Someone will take a gamble on the man who is arguably the most talented English striker of his generation. This is the last chance for a player who has left a trail of disappointment behind him.

Sturridge will be 31 next month but has less miles on the clock than might be expected of someone nearing veteran status. Only once has he featured in more than 30 Premier League games in a season – 36 for Liverpool in 2018-19 but 28 of those appearances came from the bench.

He finished that campaign by picking up his second Champions League winners’ medal when Jurgen Klopp’s team beat Tottenham Hotspur. Sturridge was an unused substitute in Madrid, as he was in 2012 for Chelsea’s triumph over Bayern Munich. This is an allegory for his career. He has always seemed on the fringe of greatness.


Arsenal could swap Lucas Torreira for 23-year-old Guinea midfielder Amadou Diawara.

Gazzetta dello Sport believe the former Sampdoria midfielder could find a way back to Serie A.

And with Mikel Arteta not signing the Uruguayan, bringing in Diawara could provide a solution to all.

READ  Ole Gunnar Solskjær needs more time and respect at Manchester United | Rob Smyth


AC Milan hope to revamp their midfield with three new additions, according to Gazzetta.

 

Matteo Pessina of Hellas Verona and Florentino Luis from Benfica could join.

While talks are underway with Chelsea to sign Tiemoue Bakayoko, either initially back on loan or in a permanent deal.

The French midfielder has two years remaining on his deal, which would likely take a loan off the table unless there is an obligation to buy inserted into the deal.


Paulo Dybala is for sale, according to Tuttosport.

Andrea Pirlo has replaced Maurizio Sarri in charge and it seems as if the Argentine is now dispensable despite a brilliant season.

Manchester City and Real Madrid are potential landing spots, which could boost funds for Paul Pogba, or provide Pirlo with a player in exchange such as Isco or Marco Asensio.


Free agent Jan Vertonghen is nearing a new home.

 

The Dutch defender left Tottenham Hotspur after eight years with the club, following the expiration of his contract at the end of the Premier League season, and he was linked with a move to Italy with Inter Milan interested.

 

However, the BBC reports that Vertonghen is in Lisbon to undergo a medical with Benfica, ahead of signing a three-year deal with the Portguese runners-up.


There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding the future of Barcelona head coach Quique Setien, with speculation rife that he must win the Champions League in order to keep his job at the Nou Camp.

 

Reports have linked former Barca midfielder Xavi Hernandez with a return to the Spanish club, with the midfield great currently in charge of Qatari club Al Sadd and rejecting a return at the start of the year when Ernesto Valverde was sacked.

 

Speaking ahead of Barca’s Champions League quarter-final against Barcelona tomorrow night, Xavi said: “There’s a lot of external noise around the club, a lot of issues off the pitch and I don’t think now is the right time.

 

“In January I told them it wasn’t the right time and they haven’t contacted me since.

 

“I’m delighted to continue to gain experience and challenge myself and of course it’ll be a privilege for me to one day coach Barca.”

Watford will demand a club-record fee from Liverpool to sign striker Ismaila Sarr, with the relegated club looking for around £40m is they are to let the Senegalese striker leave to remain in the Premier League this summer.



READ SOURCE

Leave a Reply