1. ALCATRAZ, CALIFORNIA, USA – Former maximum-security prison located on Alcatraz Island in San Francisco Bay, off the coast of California – once home to the country’s most dangerous criminals.
2. CN TOWER, TORONTO, CANADA – A renowned architectural “triumph”, “an engineering Wonder of the Modern World”, offering entertainment and dining with views of the city.
3. THE BATHS OF CARACALLA, ROME – Some of the best-preserved ancient buildings from Roman times.
4. MINACK THEATRE, PORTHCURNO, UK – An open-air theatre, constructed above a gully with a rocky granite outcrop jutting into the sea.
5. PARLIAMENT, BUDAPEST, HUNGARY – The Hungarian Parliament building, a celebrated example of Neo-Gothic architecture – more than 100 years old.
6. THE TENEMENT MUSEUM, NEW YORK – Experience what it was like to live in New York in the 19th and 20th centuries – restored apartments.
7. NINGALOO REEF, WESTERN AUSTRALIA – World Heritage-listed site home to turtles, tropical fish, manta rays, humpback whales and whale sharks.
8. CARNAC, BRITTANY, FRANCE – Best known for the Carnac stones – thousands of prehistoric standing stones.
9. WILTON’S MUSIC HALL, LONDON, UK – A Grade II listed music hall with original cast iron pillars, balcony and decor.
10. PLAZA DE ESPANA, SEVILLE, SPAIN – Built in 1929, it is a landmark example of Spain’s Regionalism Architecture, mixing elements of the Baroque Revival, Renaissance Revival and Moorish Revival styles of Spanish architecture.
11. THE ROCK HOUSES, STOURBRIDGE, UK – A wildlife haven in the heath and unique homes carved straight into the rock.
12. KATA TJUTA, AUSTRALIA – Ancient red rock formations which appear to change colour.
13. LAKE LOUISE, ALBERTA, CANADA – Known for its turquoise, glacier-fed lake ringed by high peaks and overlooked by a stately chateau – good for hiking.
14. KIYOMIZU-DERA TEMPLE, KYOTO, JAPAN – Built to honour Kannon, the goddess of mercy, its beautiful hillside location offers spectacular views of the city and valley below.
15. OLOMOUC, CZECH REPUBLIC – The Czech Republic equivalent of Prague, it’s known for its architecture, culture and religious heritage.
16. BURG ELTZ, GERMANY – a medieval castle nestled in the hills and forest above the Moselle River between Koblenz and Trier – resembles that of a Disney/fairy tale castle.
17. BENG MEALEA, CAMBODIA – Beng Mealea or Bung Mealea is a temple from the Angkor Wat period east of the main group of temples at Angkor, Cambodia, on the ancient royal highway to Preah Khan Kompong Svay.
18. KINKAKU-JI TEMPLE, KYOTO, JAPAN – Built in 1397 as a residence for shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu, it is completely covered in gold leaf.
19. UXMAL, MEXICO – An ancient Maya city of the classical period located in present-day Mexico.
20. CHRISTMAS ISLAND, INDIAN OCEAN – Nicknamed the ‘Galapagos of the Indian Ocean’, the island is famous for its red crabs, sea birds, whale sharks and spectacular coral reefs.