Tiger Woods breaks silence after golf stars honour legend following car crash

Tiger Woods spoke out after some of the world’s best golfers paid tribute to him on Sunday as he continues his recovery from a horror car crash.

Golf stars wore Woods’ signature red shirt and black trousers on the final day of the WGC-Workday Championship in Florida.

It’s the outfit Woods is famous for wearing on the concluding day of tournaments – and the likes Jason Day, Tony Finau, Tommy Fleetwood, Sebastian Munoz, Rory McIlroy and Patrick Reed all emulated his style.

The 15-times Major winner said his fellow competitors and fans were aiding him in his recovery from serious leg injuries which threaten to end his illustrious career.

He said on Twitter : “It is hard to explain how touching today was when I turned on the tv and saw all the red shirts.

Tiger Woods of the United States hits his tee shot on the 15th hole during the final round of the PNC Championship at the Ritz Carlton Golf Club on December 20, 2020 in Orlando, Florida.
Tiger Woods is famous for wearing red on the final day of tournaments

“To every golfer and every fan, you are truly helping me get through this tough time.”

Grounds crew at the Puerto Rico Championship also wore red and black in tribute to Woods, who was told by doctors he was lucky to be alive following his crash in Los Angeles County last Tuesday.

Woods has worn red and black on Sundays since his early days as a golfer, and previously said he was inspired to do so by his mother Tida.

“I wear red on Sundays because my mom thinks that that’s my power colour,” Woods has said. “And you know you should always listen to your mom.”

READ  Premiership Rugby Cup final: Sale Sharks v Harlequins postponed

Woods said on Friday he was “in good spirits” after he was moved to a new hospital to continue his recovery.

The 45-year-old is now being treated at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, which is renowned for its work rehabbing athletes.

He was moved to the centre on Friday after undergoing surgery at the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, where open fractures to his tibia and fibula and further injuries to his foot and ankle were stabilised with the insertion of a rod, screws and pins.

After his move to the Cedars-Sinai Centre, Woods’ family announced that early follow-up treatment had been successful.

“Tiger has moved to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and received follow-up procedures on his injuries this morning,” read a tweet from the 45-year-old’s official Twitter account.

“The procedures were successful, and he is now recovering and in good spirits.”

“Tiger and his family want to thank you all for the wonderful support and messages they have received over the past few days. We will not have any further updates at this time.

“Thank you for your continued privacy. – TGR.”


Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.