STRICTLY bosses have offered the show’s stars extra security protection after admitting they are “petrified” someone is going to come to harm.
The Sun Online can reveal the Corporation is now working alongside a number of private security companies who can provide round the clock protection to stars.
Many employ ex SAS soldiers and police officers who act as bodyguards.
Those taking part who want extra security are being offered it.
BBC top brass have made the move amid a series of threats that have been issued to those taking part.
Yesterday it emerged BBC presenter Mike Bushell had received a death threat.
His wife has also been bombarded with vile messages.
New judge Motsi Mabuse and dancer Alex Lloyd have also received racist abuse since the show began.
And last month our sister paper the Sun on Sunday told how a sinister letter had been sent threatening a star of the show.
Producers are believed to be particularly concerned about the upcoming episode in Blackpool.
Gorka Marquez was attacked there in 2016.
And his fellow dancers Giovanni Pernice and AJ Pritchard have been assaulted in nightclubs and on the street in the past year.
A show insider said: “Producers are really concerned about some of the threats being made against those taking part.
“The show has always had to deal with this issue. But this series has seen more threats than ever and they have been getting more and more sinister.
“Producers are terrified that someone is eventually going to get seriously hurt which is why they are offering extra advice and support about security.
“Nothing is more important than the safety of the people taking part. It’s not just about the contestants – threats have been made to family members too.
“Contestants are being warned to be careful about what they post online and to not let people know what they are up and where they are.
“It might seem like basic stuff but a lot of contestants on Strictly like to let fans know where they are and how they are doing. But they are being warned this unwittingly puts their safety at risk.
““When the show moves to Blackpool it throws up a whole load of problems for the BBC.
“The entire cast and crew will be in hotels and many often like to spend a lot of time out and about it in the town. So extra measures are being put in place to make sure the episode goes off without anyone getting hurt and that everyone’s safety is secured.”
The BBC tell The Sun Online: “Like any live TV show we take security incredibly seriously. We always have extensive security measures in place to protect our cast, crew and audience, and the arrangements are reviewed on a regular basis.”
Got a story? email email@example.com or call us direct on 02077824220.
We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.