Animal

Puppy needs emergency surgery after swallowing AirPods – but they still work when they’re removed


Rachel with retriever Jimmy (Picture: VetsNow)

A puppy who swallowed a pair of Apple AirPods has made a full recovery after emergency surgery to remove them, and his owner is urging others to be careful if their dog likes to chew.

Owner Rachel Hick rushed golden retriever Jimmy to Vets Now in Hull where vets performed intricate surgery to remove the device. 

Astonishingly, the case came out intact, with the wireless headphones still inside and the charging light still on.

Hours later Rachel discovered both the charger and the headphones still worked perfectly. 

The 22-year-old, who lives at home with her parents in Willerby, near Hull, said her ‘heart sank’ when she realised what had happened. 

She said: ‘It was Easter Sunday and Jimmy has his own Instagram account, so I was taking photos of him getting his first dog Easter egg to use on Instagram.

‘He was jumping up and running around going crazy, he was so hyped up and excited. 

‘As he jumped, he knocked my AirPods out of my pocket and they fell on the floor, and before I even realised they’d dropped on the floor, he eaten them whole. 

‘He looked up at me straight after and gave me a look as if to say “that wasn’t the treat, was it?” My heart sank.’

Looking very sorry for himself (Picture: VetsNow)

Rachel raced the puppy to the out-of-hours pet emergency service in the city, where he was scanned. 

Susana Jauregui, who is senior vet at Vets Now in Hull, said: ‘Our vet on duty that evening, Steven, x-rayed Jimmy and the radiograph images clearly showed the AirPods case still intact in his digestive system.  

‘There was a risk of it causing an obstruction and, with it being a charging case, Steven was also concerned about battery acid leaking so, after discussing the situation with Jimmy’s owners, he agreed to operate.’

An X-ray showed the AirPods intact in his stomach (Picture: VetsNow)

Susana praised Rachel for bringing Jimmy in so quickly, as large size of the case and the potential for battery acid leakage could have been extremely dangerous.

To Steven’s surprise, there wasn’t a scratch or a tooth mark on the device and even the charging light was still on. 

The operation took place on a Sunday evening and Jimmy spent the night recuperating in the clinic. 

Jimmy is now recovering at home (Picture: VetsNow)

He is now home, with a cone around his head to stop him licking his stitches. 

Rachel said: ‘He’s a bit sorry for himself, we’re not allowed to exercise him so he has all this energy and nowhere for it to go. 

‘I have been so worried about him, it’s certainly a cautionary tale for other dog owners. I can’t believe the AirPods still work, they’ve had a good clean!’

Two years ago, a man was stunned to find that his AirPods still worked after he swallowed the device and was forced to dig it out of a toilet.  

Ben Hsu fell asleep with the wireless headphones still in his ears but woke up unable to find one of them.  

Using his iPhone’s tracking feature he discovered the device was still in his room and heard its beeping sound following him around. He then realised the sound was coming from his stomach. 

An Apple a day doesn’t always keep the doctor – or vet – away.

Do you have a story you’d like to share?

Get in touch at MetroLifestyleTeam@metro.co.uk.


MORE : What I Own: Nikki, whose £482,000 house in Streatham Hill is used as a set for music videos and TV


MORE : Former home of Agatha Christie on sale for £2.75million





READ SOURCE

READ  When should you neuter your dog to avoid health risks?

Leave a Reply

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.