Ryanair has told its customers that all of its UK flights will take off as scheduled next week, despite the three-day strike called by the pilots’ union Balpa.
The airline said more than 95% of UK pilots had confirmed that they would work their rosters during the industrial action, due to take place on Monday to Wednesday, 2-4 September.
Balpa declined to comment on the claims.
A two-day strike in August by Balpa pilots, which Ryanair had unsuccessfully sought to prevent with a high court injunction, failed to stop any of the 892 daily flights from operating, according to the airline.
Although Balpa has refused to confirm pilot numbers, Ryanair has claimed that fewer than 30% of its 1,250 UK pilots voted for industrial action.
In a statement delivered to customers who have booked travel next week, Ryanair said: “All Ryanair flights to/from UK airports on 2-4 September will operate as scheduled thanks to the efforts of over 95% of our UK pilots who have confirmed that they will work their rosters, and will not support this failed third [sic] Balpa strike action.
“We do not expect any pilot strike disruptions to our schedule.”
Ryanair said that it had invited Balpa to meet to resume negotiations, but the union had refused.
Balpa has said that none of the issues it had raised on behalf of its members in March – including pensions, maternity benefits, and a fair, transparent pay structure – had been addressed by Ryanair.
Ryanair has, however, cancelled 14 flights to and from Spain next week as a result of strikes by Spanish cabin crews. It said all customers affected had already been informed and offered refunds or rebooking.
It called on Spanish unions to return to talks and warned that “the closure of loss-making winter bases in the Canary Islands will not be reversed by these pointless strikes”.
Separately, Balpa said there were currently no talks planned to end a separate dispute with British Airways, where strikes are planned next month.
The union said it was awaiting a response from the BA chief executive, Alex Cruz, to its invitation to talks, following his “personal promise” to be involved.
Brian Strutton, Balpa general secretary, said: “This dispute will only be settled, and these strikes will only be called off, when BA improve their offer enough to satisfy their pilots. Until BA indicate that they are willing to do that, there is absolutely no point in any talks.”
A BA spokesman said: “We have continued to urge Balpa to return to talks since they issued strike dates, and this was reiterated again yesterday [Wednesday] afternoon.
“Our negotiating team is standing by and open to discussion, with Alex Cruz’s full support.”
Balpa’s planned BA action appears to be having more impact, even before strikes take place, as the national carrier suffered more reputational damage at the weekend after many customers were emailed in error to be told that their flights were cancelled. Passengers were later told that the flights would operate after all – after some had rebooked travel.
BA pilots are due to strike on 9, 10 and 27 September.