Shanon’s long hair is now mostly gone (Picture: Shanon Kent / SWNS)

A 23-year-old mum has spoken out about the harrowing experience she had after using a home hair dye that she claims made her long blonde hair fall out in ‘clumps’.

Shanon Kent, who’s a stay-at-home mum to her two children, purchased the silver toner from Superdrug, and says that she did the recommended patch test beforehand – even though she’d used the same product in the past.

However, when she put the £12 product onto her head, her scalp began burning.

Shanon, from Immingham in Lancashire, washed the toner off after ten minutes, despite the box saying it could be left on for up to 30 minutes.

She said: ‘I only had it on for ten minutes, and then my scalp started to get really sore, like I’d been scratching it too much.

‘The smell was so strong. I couldn’t breathe.

‘I started washing it out, and all these clumps were coming out, so I tried to brush it a bit and it just kept coming out.’

The ‘clumps’ of hair (Picture: Shanon Kent / SWNS )

400g of hair eventually ended up falling out.

Devastated Shanon tried to brush her diminishing locks but was left her with spiky wisps, and says she could barely leave the bathroom.

The Superdrug Own Brand Vibrance Silver hair dye was sent back to the company for testing, but Superdrug claimed there was ‘no irregularity’ with the product.

Although they’ve offered £30 worth of Superdrug points as a gesture of goodwill, Shanon feels that this doesn’t reflect the severity of what happened to her.

She has spent the last three months too traumatised to leave her house without wearing a wig, which she bought the same night the incident happened.

Shanon’s hair before it was burnt off (Picture: Shanon Kent / SWNS)

Shanon says: ‘I did a patch test and an allergy test first, and then I applied the toner.

‘It’s absolutely not acceptable. They’re not taking any responsibility, they’re making it seem like it’s my fault.

‘I suffer massively with depression and anxiety, and this really set me back. I don’t think I left the bathroom for three days.

‘The hair dye was £12 but I’m getting refunded £5 of it. The £30 minus £16 haircut and £4 postage to return the product, that leaves me with £3 leftover… obviously not.’

Superdrug’s initial response to Shanon said they had tested the product ‘and not a single participant showed a reaction’.

The hair is now short an wispy (Picture: Shanon Kent / SWNS )

Their email read: ‘I know that this is not the outcome you were expecting, however at this stage we are unable to accept any responsibility for your experience with our product.’

Shanon – who was blonde for six years before the incident – continues, ‘Even now it’s grown out a bit, I have to spend about four hours styling it to try and sort out the mess I was left with.

‘That’s just not practical when I have two young children.

‘I have to be really careful now with what shampoo I put on my head. I still have a really sore scalp now – whereas, before this, I’d never had any problem with a dry scalp.

‘It’s still really sore for me now. I had to go to the doctors and get steroid cream for my scalp. Even now, my hair has only grown to a bob at the moment.

The mum-of-two now wears wigs to cover her hair (Picture: Shanon Kent / SWNS)

‘I wouldn’t go back to Superdrug again, but all they’ve given me is £30 worth of points on my card that I’m not going to use.’

A spokesperson for Superdrug said: ‘We were aware that the customer in question was not satisfied with a hair product she had purchased.

‘However, we investigated this with our supplier, who confirmed that there was no irregularity found with the product batch.

‘We were sorry to hear about the trauma experienced by the customer and therefore offered a goodwill gesture in light of this.

‘We always recommend that customers follow the instructions for use provided on the pack, including carrying out a strand test to check for any reaction prior to use.’

MORE: I used to be afraid to admit that I was disabled, but now I accept who I am

MORE: Woman creates ‘Christmas’ trees for every occasion – and we think we’re into it





READ SOURCE

READ  Mum admits she's 'embarrassed' by her daughter's name - and wants to change it

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here