MAKE your Bonfire Night go with a bang with a dazzling display of dishes.
Comfort food is perfect to scoff while watching fireworks on a cold night, so stock up with some hand-warming winners, from hotdogs to hot toddies. The great buys and recipes below will make sure you have the perfect Guy Fawkes Night.
- FOR £10 snap up 20 x 330ml Amstel beers at Morrisons, but hurry — when it’s gone, it’s gone.
- For a comforting tipple, Bailey’s Original Irish Cream Liqueur, 1l, is down from £20 to £12 at Tesco.
- Pop your cork with Sorso Prosecco down from £7.50 to £5 at Morrisons.
- For a warming red wine, save £2 on Lindeman’s The Discoverer Shiraz Cabernet, now £5 at the Co-op.
- MAKE a heap of hot dogs with 16 British sausages for £3 at Morrisons.
- Save on Bonfire Night essentials at Iceland, including Warburtons six hot dog rolls, Garden of Elveden four baking potatoes, Heinz tomato ketchup, 324g, and eight Ye Olde Oak hot dogs, all 50p each.
- Tuck into essential Waitrose 4 British beef burgers, 454g, £2.95 or buy two for £5.
- Tesco Butcher’s Choice pork & apple sausages, are £1.70 or buy two for £3.
- Fill a roll with Sainsbury’s slow cook smokey BBQ pulled pork, £4. Cook up a Bonfire Night chilli with a kilo of British steak mince for £3 at Morrisons.
- Set your taste-buds ablaze with Sainsbury’s new Taste The Difference Firecracker sausages, £2 made with pork, chilli, garlic and red pepper.
Start with spuds
- SAVE a sparkling 50p on Bannisters Yorkshire Family Farm six little jacket potatoes, 700g, now £1.50 at Morrisons.
- Get 60p off at Tesco on two baked potatoes with cheese 450g — now £2.
- Get your Fawkes at the ready for Morrisons’ four baking potatoes, with 25p off, now 50p.
- IT’S crunch time with Iceland’s chocolate flavour coated apple at 65p.
- Six Mr Kipling toffee apple slices are £1 at Iceland.
- Get Waitrose’s chocolate apple with sprinkles, 125g, for £1 each.
- Enjoy the good old days with Parrs milk chocolate retro apples, £1 each or two for £1.50, from Tesco.
- Tesco S’mores Kit, £2, is packed with cookie mix, mallow mix and chocolate-flavour syrup, to make the fireside snacks.
- Enjoy a melting moment with Sainsbury’s marshmallows, 200g, for 85p.
- GET your hands around a cup of these winter warmers this winter.
- Asda mulled wine is £2.75.
- Sainsbury’s gingerbread latte, 126g, is £2.50.
- Cadbury drinking chocolate, 250g, is down from £2 to just £1.50 at Morrisons.
- Heston from Waitrose mulled cider, 75cl, is £4.99.
Baked potato with chilli con carne
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 400g lean beef mince
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 400g kidney beans
- 10g rock salt
METHOD: Preheat your oven to 180C. Cover a baking tray with salt.
Wash, dry and prick the potatoes with a fork before baking for around 90min. They are done when you can slide a fork in with little resistance.
Heat oil in a large saucepan and fry garlic and onion gently for a couple of minutes. Add the red pepper and stir for a couple more minutes.
Put in mince and cook until lightly browned. Add tomatoes, chilli and cumin, season with pepper.
Bring to boil and simmer for 30min, stirring occasionally. Put in the kidney beans and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. To serve, split the potato in half and cover with the chilli. Finish with cheddar if desired.
- 255g plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2tsp each allspice, ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 225g medium oatmeal
- 175g black treacle
- 150g sunflower spread
- 100g light soft sugar
- 150ml milk
- 1 egg, beaten
METHOD: Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line the base and sides of an 18cm square cake tin with greaseproof paper.
Sift flour, salt, allspice, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Add oatmeal and toss together well. Hollow out centre.
Put treacle, spread, sugar, milk and egg in a pan and stir over a low heat until dissolved.
Add to the dry ingredients and mix well until thoroughly combined. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour until cooked through (a knife inserted gently should come out clean).
Cool in the tin slightly, then turn out on to a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.