BORIS Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn agreed a truce in election campaigning in the capital after the PM phoned the Labour leader in the wake of the London Bridge attack.
It came after Mr Johnson rushed back from his West London constituency to hold emergency talks with police and his security officials in No10.
MI5’s Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC) has so far kept the terror threat at “substantial”, meaning that an attack is “likely”. But it is understood this was being reviewed last night.
The PM held a meeting of the Government’s emergency Cobra committee late last night to receive the latest updates on the investigation.
The Prime Minister vowed to hunt down any terrorists or anyone involved in the horrific attack that saw police gun down a suspected knifeman after several people were injured.
As authorities confirmed they were treating the attack as terror-related, Mr Johnson promised Britain would “never be cowed or divided”.
The Prime Minister travelled from his constituency in Uxbridge back to No10, and has had updates from police including Neil Basu and Cressida Dick.
He said this evening: “We are all very saddened to learn some people have been injured and our sympathies are with them and with their loved ones.
“I can assure, anyone involved will be hunted down and brought to justice.
“The message we send tot hem and anyone associated – this country will never be cowed or divided or intimidated by this sort of attack.
“Our British values will prevail.”
He praised the bravery of the public for going towards the attacker to try and confront him.
“For me, they represent the very best of our country,” he said.
“I thank them on behalf of our country.”
CAMPAIGN ON HOLD
Mr Johnson is expected to stay in Downing Street over the weekend and could call off all election campaigning for the next few days.
But in the chat with Mr Corbyn last night, the pair “agreed that campaigning should resume tomorrow as a statement against those who wish to attack our democracy”, according to a read-out of the conversation.
Mr Corbyn said in a statement: “We must remain united across all our communities.
“We cannot let our democratic process be derailed by acts of terror.”
Cops tonight named the terrorist as Usman Khan, 28, who was living in Staffordshire.
Khan, wearing a hoax suicide vest, was killed by police, after hero bystanders wrestled him to the ground.
Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said Khan was known to authorities and had been convicted in 2012 for terrorism offences.
He said: “He was released from prison in December 2018 on licence and clearly, a key line of enquiry now is to establish how he came to carry out this attack.
“Tragically, two people – a man and a woman – were killed during the attack. Three others – a man and two women – were also injured and remain in hospital.”
Khan had attended an event on Friday afternoon at Fishmonger’s Hall called ‘Learning Together’.
Police said the attack began inside the hall before Khan fled onto London Bridge, where he was shot dead by armed cops.
A Downing Street spokesperson tonight confirmed a COBRA meeting – the government’s crisis response – would be held tonight.
The PM urged everyone to be vigilant, but he hoped that Londoners could return to their daily business.
Both the Conservatives and Labour tonight suspended their campaigns after the horror.
A BBC 7-way debate is expected to take place at 7pm.
An emergency Cobra meeting is not expected at the moment.
I want to thank the emergency services and members of the public for their immense bravery
Home Secretary Priti Patel added: “Very concerned by ongoing incident at London Bridge. My thoughts are with all affected. I am grateful for the rapid response of our police and I urge everyone to follow their advice.”
Jeremy Corbyn also responded to the incident.
He said: “Shocking reports from London Bridge. My thoughts are with those caught up in the incident. Thank you to the police and emergency services who are responding.”
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said in a statement outside Scotland Yard this evening that it was believed to be a lone attacker, and police aren’t looking for anyone else at the moment.
He urged Londoners to be vigilant and report anything suspicious.
“We are absolute, stand united in the face of terrorism. We will not allow anybody to divide us,” he said, and praised the “breathtaking heroism” of those who risked their own safety to help.
“They are, the best of us,” he added.
Local MP Neil Coyle said: “Sent shivers down my spine to hear of gunshots around London Bridge and Borough Market again.
“Understand the police are in control and urging people to still stay away for now please. The Met will provide more news soon.”
Former Defence Minister Tobias Ellwood – who helped on the scene during the Westminster terror attack back in 2017 – said it was a “stark reminder of the threats we face”.
The attack comes 15 months after the capital was gripped by terror when a man ploughed into cyclists outside the Houses of Parliament in August, 2018 – and two years on from the London Bridge terror attack that killed eight in 2017.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.