Football

Inter boss Antonio Conte furiously denies he is trying to steal Maurizio Sarri’s job


Inter finished a point behind Juventus (Picture: Getty)

Antonio Conte has furiously denied he contacted Juventus to see if they planned to sack Maurizio Sarri.

Conte’s future at Inter is up in the air having publicly criticised the club hierarchy after missing out on the Serie A title to Juventus by just a point.

The Italian has since cooled talk of a potential exit but reports in Italy claimed he had contacted Juventus to ask if they intended to stick with Sarri.

Conte – who previously spent three years at the helm at Juventus – has strenuously denied the story and threatened to take legal action.

‘Regarding the article published today on Repubblica, I categorically deny the fact that I spoke with Juventus directors and players asking: “Are you going to sack Sarri?”,’ Conte said in response to the claims.

‘I will sue those who wrote this article and the editor in charge of the magazine.’

He added: ‘I took on a three-year project with Inter and as I have always done in my life I will work hard and will fight with all my strength and with all that is in my possibilities to make it a winning project.’

Sarri has just won the Serie A title with Juventus (Picture: Getty)

While Conte has appeared to ease tensions with Inter chiefs, the 51-year-old cut a frustrated figure after the final game of the season against Atalanta.

‘It has been a tough year on a personal level, very tough,’ he said after the win.

‘I don’t think the players saw their work recognised, I don’t think I saw my work recognised and we all received very little protection from the club.

‘We have to grow and improve in all areas, including off the field, and a big club should protect its players more.

‘We’ll discuss it all at the end of the season, I have to meet the president (Steven Zhang) and he’s in China right now.’ 

Inter’s season is not yet over as they take on Getafe in the last 16 of the Europa League on Wednesday.

MORE: Chelsea handed major transfer boost as Bayern Munich confirm Kai Havertz stance

MORE: Willian to join Arsenal after rejecting late offers from Chelsea and Manchester United

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.





READ SOURCE

READ  Jurgen Klopp provides updates on James Milner, Naby Keita and Fabinho ahead of Tottenham clash

Leave a Reply