Last year, one of the industry’s top nail stylists, Ama Quashie, opened the doors to AMA, Brixton’s natural nail salon. Upon its opening, she found that there was an increasing interest from pedicures clients in a service dedicated to treating common foot problems.
This saw the birth of the salon’s monthly podiatry clinic, which focuses on the examination, treatment and rehabilitation of the feet; treating problems such as corns, bunions, ingrown toenails, verrucas and calluses.
Wanting to offer the very best service to their clients, founders Ama and Latoyah approached Juanita Hatfield – who has a Bsc (Hons) in Podiatric Medicine, is registered with the Health & Care Professional Council and is also a member of the College of Podiatry – to be their in-house podiatrist.
“We really wanted to offer a 360 service at AMA and as Juanita is family it made total sense to approach her about utilising her expertise so that we could offer both podiatry services as well as cosmetic treatments at the salon.” says Ama.
Far from the impersonal ambience of traditional podiatry clinics, AMA’s front-room-style salon instantly leaves you at ease. In addition to the consultation and treatment, each client is given an exfoliating foot scrub and warm foot soak using heavenly organic products from Pinks Boutique.
If you are self-conscious about your feet, rest assured the blinds will be down for your complete privacy.
To get you started, Juanita shares five top tips for great foot health:
1. Regularly trim toenails using nail clippers. Cut straight across, not at an angle or down the sides, as this can cause ingrown toenails.
2. Gently remove any hard skin with a foot file, being careful not to damage the skin underneath.
3. Moisturise feet daily, applying cream all over the foot except between the toes. If skin is dry and prone to hard skin, try a moisturising cream containing urea.
4. It may seem obvious, but make sure to wear shoes that are wide enough for your feet with a deep enough toe box to avoid pressure. A supportive sole for shock absorption is also important and especially beneficial for those without much natural fatty padding on their feet.
5. Wear pool shoes or flip flops in public areas, such as swimming pools or showers at the gym to avoid getting athlete’s foot and verrucas.
Initial consultation, £45.
Follow up appointment, £40.
Extended follow up appointments discussed after initial consultation.
Visit AMA at 30 Coldharbour Lane, London, SW9 8QH.