SPRUCE up your home without wiping out your bank balance with our handy tips.
Bargain retailer B&M has reported a surge in demand for cheap cleaning products in the past year.
But there are even craftier ways to save cash while making your home shine.
- Animal magic. Pets can create nasty niffs, so freshen things up by sprinkling baking soda on carpets, mattresses and sofas. Spread it into the fabric with a brush, leave it overnight then vacuum off in the morning.
- Airy clever. Don’t splash out on a pricey air freshener to mask cooking smells. Instead, fill a saucepan with water and add a sliced lemon, a few sprigs of rosemary and ½tsp of vanilla extract. Bring to a simmer and it will create a sweet scent throughout your kitchen.
- Shoestring budget. Don’t put up with stinky trainers. Put a few tea bags inside each shoe and leave them for 24 hours in a warm, dry place. That should banish the whiff.
- Smell the coffee. Soak up bad smells in your fridge by putting a bowl of dry, fresh coffee grounds in the bottom. They can also soak up pongs inside your car if you place them in a container with holes punched in the lid.
- Bin-credible. Wipe a solution of water and white vinegar around the inside and outside of your bin, then leave it to dry. Coffee granules sprinkled in the bottom can also keep it fresh.
Deal of the day
SAVE: 20 per cent
THIS swap is heaven scent, guys. The Milton Lloyd True Grit EDP at fragrancedirect.co.uk is like Diesel’s Only The Brave.
Reader’s saving tip
JANET ROGERS, from Hornchurch in Essex, says: “Add a crust of bread to cabbages or onions while cooking them to avoid bad smells and save money on air fresheners.”
- Send your hints to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if yours is published. Please include your name and town.
TEATIME is sorted with Dr Oetker Ristorante pizzas down from £2.50 at Asda to just £1.50.
Hot right now
MISSING Love Island?
Go all-inclusive for seven nights to Majorca from London on September 15 or 30 for £249 at icelolly.com.
Shop & save
STOCK up on New York Bakery plain bagels, £1 for five at Tesco. Was £1.60.
My Sun Savers fiver
ELLEN WOOLLISCROFT, from Buxton, Derbys, says: “I used my Sun Savers fivers towards going to see my first opera. I was enthralled.”
- Send your Savers fiver stories to sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if yours is published. Please include your name and town.
Play now to win £50,000 on the Sun Savers Raffle
JOIN thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Savers Raffle.
Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our £50k monthly Raffle. And for every ten tickets you collect in a calendar month, you get a GOLDEN TICKET for our £80k Raffle, which takes place every three months, with the first one at the end of June.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect. So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app. Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Every time you scan or enter a code into Sun Savers, you get a Raffle ticket in the £50k Raffle.
Not yet a Sun Savers member? Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.