IT might be February but canny shoppers can save hundreds of pounds by stocking up now for next Christmas.
Many stores still have leftover stock from the festive season that they are desperate to get rid of — to free space for products that are in demand right now.
This year they have even more than usual, because many were unable to open before Christmas due to Covid restrictions.
It means careful shoppers planning ahead can save up to £220 on an artificial tree, cheaper baubles and gift wrap — and even posh Yuletide items from Harrods that are now half-price.
For some, the thought of Christmas shopping may be the last thing on their minds, with it more than 300 days away.
But picking up non-perishable items now at bargain prices not only means you save money but also puts you ahead of the game for preparation later in the year.
With all but essential shops closed in lockdown, many have put their spare festive items online.
This includes Ocado and Harrods and even specialist retailers such as Christmas Tree World, which has slashed the price of an 8ft, pre-lit artificial tree from £549.99 to £329.99.
The Save The Children charity shop has cut the price of cards by half, while the National Gallery is selling cheap decorations, such as a ceramic nativity scene reduced from £28 to £12.50.
Other examples include a Harrods Union Jack stocking that was £70.01 before Christmas but can now be snapped up for half-price at £35 from the upmarket store.
More everyday items include crackers from Ocado, down from £15 to £7.50 for a box of six, and wrapping paper at WHSmith reduced from £8.98 to £1.99.
Consumer expert Martin Isark said: “Retailers’ unsold products are often discounted after the festive period.
“But unfortunately in December 2020, non-essential and charity shops were closed before many shoppers had a chance to buy their must-have Christmas essentials and presents, which has meant most of their Christmas stock has remained unsold.
“This is bad news for retailers but good news for the savvy 2021 Christmas shoppers.”
Top festive bargains
- Six reindeer handmade crackers, £7.50 from Ocado – buy now
Christmas price: £15
- Christmas Union Jack stocking, £35 from Harrods – buy now
Christmas price: £70.01
- Twelve snow scene Christmas cards, £6 from The White Company – buy now
Christmas price: £12
- Two 2m rolls of Christmas wrapping paper, £1.99 from WHSmith – buy now
Christmas price: £8.98
- Five Christmas light decorations, £19.99 from Christmas Trees And Lights – buy now
Christmas price: £69.95
- Stella McCartney kids’ Christmas cracker sweatpants, £33.87 from Harrods – buy now
Christmas price: £94.95
Beauty advent calendar
- Twelve Days of Christmas beauty advent calendar, £18 from White Stuff – buy now
Christmas price: £30
- Artificial 8ft Devonshire Fir, pre-lit, £329.99 from Christmas Tree World – buy now
Christmas price: £549.99
- Ceramic Nativity scene, £12.50 from National Gallery website – buy now
Christmas price: £28
B&M’s sold out Lay-Z Spa hot tub is back and it costs £300
- Gnome Christmas jumper, £12 from Matalan – buy now
Christmas price: £18
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL email@example.com