Jumping into your very first major studio film must be hugely intimidating but could you imagine starring in your first big release alongside Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson, being directed by Mike Flanagan, and also working with Stephen King source material? That’s exactly what Kyliegh Curran got to do on the big screen adaptation of Doctor Sleep.
She steps in as Abra Stone, a young girl living with her loving parents in a quaint suburban neighborhood who has the ultimate secret – she can shine, just like Danny Torrance in The Shining. The ability unsettles her parents every once in a while, but Abra’s managed to grow up fairly safe and sound. But that all changes when she makes contact with Rose the Hat (Ferguson), the leader of the True Knot. The True feed on the “steam” of those who shine and the moment Rose labels Abra “big steam,” Abra becomes the True’s #1 target.
Not only is Curran a powerhouse in the film, but it turns out, she’s also an absolute delight in person! The above interview is a must-watch for anyone in need of a big smile or a taste of Curran’s infectious energy and passion for horror, King’s work, and Doctor Sleep.
Doctor Sleep is playing in theaters nationwide right now. If you’ve yet to see the film, you can give the Collider Video non-spoiler review of the movie a watch right here. But, if you’re ready for a more in-depth spoiler filled discussion, largely about the movie’s super ambitious ending, you can check that out over here.
- What’s the first horror movie Curran ever saw?
- What’s the scariest horror movie she’s watched yet?
- How many times did Curran watch The Shining to prep for Doctor Sleep?
- Curran is actually reading a Stephen King book right now!
- Did any one particular scene make Curran nervous; what was the most complicated of the bunch to shoot?
- The scene that wowed Curran the most when she saw the final version of the film.
- Does Curran have an Abra playlist?
- The props and set dressing Curran wishes she could have kept from Abra’s room.