CRUISE inspectors have revealed the worst ever conditions they found ships in with holidaymakers onboard.
From ships with fly-covered food to a barman who worked with a contagious bug, these have all been found during November’s cruise ship health inspections.
The following incidents, reported by Miami Herald, have been crowned the worst discoveries cruise inspectors laid their eyes on in November.
A bartender aboard Aida Cruises was struck down with a contagious crippling stomach bug.
The inspector found out the man threw up three times and got diarrhoea once.
This, however, did not stop the man from working through the night.
But that’s not all for drama on this cruise – as the inspectors noticed something rather unusual at the ship’s breakfast buffet.
The inspector recalled: “The Eggs Benedict and poached egg with spinach on the breakfast menu both were made with under-cooked poached eggs.
“The items did not have asterisks linking them to the consumer advisory. Staff stated the egg yolks were runny and non-pasteurised shell eggs were used.”
But dinner was also questionable, as at the sushi bar, “the soap at the handwash station was discoloured a yellow/reddish colour and had small gritty pieces”.
The inspector said: “The source soap attached to the dispenser was clear and free of grit.
“The soap dispenser was disassembled and evidence of corrosion was found on the interior and exterior surfaces.”
FLY COVERED FOOD
Inspectors found at least 12 flies in the food preparation area of the Pig & Anchor aboard a Carnival Cruise Line ship.
The inspector recalled seeing “food employees working and serving food while the flies were in their area and around the food, food equipment and utensils. The area was ultimately closed due to rain and not because of the flies.”
But that’s not all – plumbing problems in several places were also spotted.
This included a couple of hand-washing stations that had “low water flow, which prohibited a proper hand washing.”
ICE CREAM MALFUNCTION
Norwegian Cruise Line’s Garden Cafe was home to a blunder of its own during one inspector’s visit.
“The handle of one of the two ice scoops inside the ice machine was soiled with a piece of food.
“The scoops and their handles were covered with moisture that touched the ice,” the inspector recalled.
The inspector also noticed problems such as “the deck had recessed and missing grout in several areas” or “the deckhead tubular structure above clean equipment and beverages was heavily soiled with dark materials.”
Safe to say these were most definitely not enjoyed by holidaymakers.