State premier Daniel Andrews extends lockdown by two weeks; Victoria reports 63 new cases and five deaths; thousands attend protests against coronavirus measures in Croatia and Italy. Follow the latest updates
- Why Australia’s Covid jobs crisis could last years
- Melbourne stage 4 coronavirus lockdown extended for two weeks
- Covid-19 ‘could be endemic in deprived parts of England’
- Kamala Harris says she wouldn’t trust Trump on safety of Covid vaccine before election
- See all our coronavirus coverage
A further six people have been charged following yesterday’s unauthorised protest activity in Sydney and Byron Bay, AAP reports.
High-visibility policing operations were launched in response to protests yesterday (Saturday 5 September 2020), to ensure the safety of participants, as well as the community and local businesses.
Business groups have attacked the Victorian Labor government’s roadmap out of the state’s coronavirus crisis, saying it only delivers more despair, AAP reports.
Under the government’s plan announced on Sunday, there will be no substantial change for vulnerable retail and hospitality operators for another seven weeks and even then some restrictions will remain.