Arsenal are hopeful of continuing a busy summer in the transfer market.
Brazilian centre-back Gabriel Magalhaes is the most eye-catching arrival so far joining from Lille in a £27million deal. Fellow countryman Willian has joined him too with Dani Ceballos returning on a second season-long loan from Real Madrid.
Arteta is keen for more new faces as he continues to build a new squad, however. A new midfielder is a priority with Houssem Aouar of Lyon and Atletico Madrid’s Thomas Partey the primary options. Any further spend is likely to require sales though with right-back Hector Bellerin the likeliest to leave. PSG were interested in a loan but have moved on with the Gunners only after a permanent sale. Goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez will leave, however, with Aston Villa set to seal a deal for him to be their new No 1. Sokratis and Lucas Torreira have both been linked with Serie A and are expected to leave before the deadline. We will have all of the latest for you throughout the day:
PSG SIGN ROMA’S FLORENZI
Paris Saint-Germain have completed the signing of Alessandro Florenzi on a season’s loan from Roma.
PSG have an option to buy the 29-year-old Italian international right back , who has 36 caps for his country and captained Roma last season.
The attack-minded Florenzi can also play in midfield and netted 28 goals in 280 games for Roma.
The deal has a knock-on effect for Arsenal who had hoped to sell Hector Bellerin to the French champions to raise money for a midfielder.
Ben Burrows11 September 2020 18:00
ARTETA OPTIMISTIC ABOUT AUBAMEYANG
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta says fans can be relaxed about captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s future at the Emirates and stressed the club are still actively looking to strengthen the squad in the current transfer window.
Aubameyang, 31, has less than a year left on his current deal and Arsenal risk losing him for free at the end of the season but British media have reported that the Gabon international has agreed a new three-year deal with the club.
“I can say I am even more confident than I was at the end of last season,” Arteta told a news conference on Friday. “Do I think it will be done soon? I am really optimistic, yes.”
Ben Burrows11 September 2020 17:53
STONEY: UNITED HAVE MADE A STATEMENT
Casey Stoney believes Manchester United have made a strong statement of intent with their signing of two World Cup winners and an England international this week.
United had a productive final week of the Women’s Super League transfer window as they brought in United States forwards Tobin Heath and Christen Press, and England forward Alessia Russo.
Coming after holding champions Chelsea to a 1-1 draw in their season opener last weekend, manager Stoney feels United’s ambitions are clear.
The former England captain said: “We are always trying to build, develop and grow.
“Obviously we have been doing it gradually but when you sign the three players we signed this week it does make a statement.
“We are always looking to bring in quality where we can as a squad and I feel we have done that.”
Ben Burrows11 September 2020 17:51
FARKE STICKING WITH NORWICH
Daniel Farke claims he will bleed “yellow” blood to take Norwich back to the Premier League.
The Canaries, relegated last term after just one season back in the top flight, begin life back in the Sky Bet Championship with an away trip to Huddersfield on Saturday.
Norwich finished 13 points adrift at the foot of the Premier League but that has not dulled Farke’s enthusiasm.
“My blood is already yellow and for that I am keen to bounce back with this club,” said the German at a press conference.
Farke has lost Jamal Lewis and other key players such as Todd Cantwell and Emiliano Buendia could also move on.
Ben Burrows11 September 2020 17:16
YOUNGSTER LEAVES UNITED
Deji Sotona has left Manchester United after the talented teenager turned down a new deal at the club, the Press Association reports.
The 17-year-old scored the winner in February’s FA Youth Cup quarter-final triumph against Wigan – but the forward will not be available for the semi-finals should the tournament get completed.
Rapid Republic of Ireland youth international Sotona has decided to leave United for pastures new, having failed to agree terms with the club.
Ben Burrows11 September 2020 16:53
LEICESTER FRUSTRATED IN CHASE FOR NEW SIGNINGS
Frustrated Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers does not believe he has a big enough squad to compete on all four fronts this season.
The 47-year-old oversaw an impressive first full season in the King Power Stadium dugout, but missing out on Champions League football at the death was a kick in the teeth.
Leicester’s fifth-placed finish will instead see them compete in the Europa League along with domestic competitions, stretching a squad that has yet to be suitably strengthened.
Ben Chilwell left for Chelsea and Atalanta’s Timothy Castagne is the only first-team arrival to date, leaving Rodgers short of the options he feels he needs.
“No we don’t (have a big enough squad), and that’s something I’ve been pretty clear on,” the Foxes boss said ahead of Sunday’s Premier League opener at West Brom.
“I think that our idea this year was to improve the depth of our squad.
“I’ve always said that I think the players in this last season showed many great moments and for them to improve it’s going to need time, work on the training field.
“But you can’t also get away from having to improve you need quality and that’s something we’ve talked about it and something we hope to give the squad in order to help it.”
Ben Burrows11 September 2020 16:36
UNITED TO SIGN CITY STARLET
Manchester United are set to sign teenage prospect Charlie McNeill from rivals Manchester City, the Press Association report.
The 17-year-old is joining the red half of Manchester after scoring goals aplenty throughout the youth age groups for City.
United are set to pay an initial fee of just under £750,000 for McNeill, with the fee potentially rising to £1.35million if he triggers a variety of first-team clauses.
Ben Burrows11 September 2020 15:39
Chelsea have had a bid accepted for Senegalese goalkeeper Edouard Mendy by Rennes, and the goalkeeper looks set to join the Blues over the coming days, according to Fabrizio Romano.
Personal terms have already been agreed and the 6ft 6in keeper will fly to London this weekend for a medical.
Lawrence Ostlere11 September 2020 15:26
CHELSEA TO TURN TO RICE
Chelsea have spent in excess of £200m this summer and will finally put some of those pieces together on the pitch for the first time in an official game as they kick off the new campaign at Brighton on Monday.
The Blues are not done yet in the market though, that’s despite adding potentially five starters in the shape of Kai Havertz, Hakim Ziyech, Timo Werner, Thiago Silva and Ben Chilwell.
But they are not stopping there. Here’s a round up of the latest:
Ben Burrows11 September 2020 15:18
UNITED CONTINUE PUSH FOR SANCHO
Manchester United want to sign Jadon Sancho in the next seven days so that he has time arrive in the UK and play against Crystal Palace in their opening Premier League game.
United are missing the first weekend of the season in order to recover from their exertions in last season’s Europa League.
It means they have an extra week to get in Sancho before the season starts and according to Dagbladet, they are determined to bring him in.
It has been widely reported that personal terms are already agreed between United and the player’s agent, but it remains to be seen whether Dortmund will come down from their asking price of £120m.
Ben Burrows11 September 2020 14:58