Our friends over at COOPH have put together a fun video that might just inspire you to break out the umbrella for a fun photo shoot this weekend. The rapid-fire video goes through 5 creative photo “hacks” that you can do with a spare umbrella and a few other odds and ends like fairy lights, aluminum foil, and duct tape.
Some of the ideas are more wacky, while others are more practical, but there’s something in there for everybody. If you’re stuck in a creative rut, it might not be a bad idea to give a few of these a shot:
- Smoke Bombing: Strap a smoke bomb to the handle of your umbrella, and have your model pose with it as smoke pours out inside the umbrella.
- DIY Light Source: Cover the inside of your umbrella with aluminum foil or strap fairy lights to a clear umbrella for some neat effects.
- Control the Shadow: Use your umbrella as a snoot by covering it with shapes using duct tape, or shooting through it to capture a silhouette portrait.
- Bounce Light: Use colorful, white, or black umbrellas to create various types of bounce light in a pinch.
- Overhead Patterns: Break out the drone and capture creative top-down aerial shots, using the umbrella as a focal point.
None of these ideas are going to blow anybody’s mind, but if you’ve been stuck in a creative rut, COOPH’s quick “hacks” videos like this one are a great way to try something new and break out of your comfort zone.
Watch the full video up top to see all of these ideas in action, and then head over to the COOPH YouTube channel for lots more videos like it.